Getting Data In

Add a new field in indexing time from data received via HEC

corti77
Communicator

Hi,

I am using Splunk 9.0.6, and I configured HEC + Syslog Connector for Splunk for the data ingestion.

At the moment, I receive events from our two different firewall (PaloAlto and Stormshield). My problem arises with the fact that Stormshield is not directly supported by SC4S, so the extracted fields are not CIM compliant.

More precisely, the field action should contain blocked or allowed as possible values, but it contains pass and block instead.

My question is how it would be the best way to implement this transformation.

I tried creating the following files in the path 

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\splunk_httpinput\local

props.conf

[StormShield:StormShield]
TRANSFORMS = rewriteaction

transform.conf

[rewriteaction]
EVAL-action = case(action="pass", "allowed", action="block", "blocked" , 1=1, "UNKNOWN")

I restarted Splunk, but nothing really happened.

Any idea of what I am doing wrong? 

Many thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is something you typically do in the search-head layer. It has nothing to do with HEC.

And you're mixing different things here - EVAL-* entries belong directly in props.conf, not in transforms.conf stanza. And again - if you have a bigger environment than an all-in-one setup, this goes into the search-head tier.

View solution in original post

corti77
Communicator

hi @PickleRick , yes, I am a bit confused about the philosophy behind all these files.

We have only one single server, so I guess it has to be configured there. You mentioned that has nothing to do with HEC, so where should I place the props.conf file? At /etc/system/local ?

cheers

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

While in an all-in-one scenario it might not be that important, it's useful to remember that you should avoid putting anything in etc/system/local.

Apart from that, you can put it "anywhere" - see how Splunk merges the separate files into effective config https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.1/Admin/Wheretofindtheconfigurationfiles

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is something you typically do in the search-head layer. It has nothing to do with HEC.

And you're mixing different things here - EVAL-* entries belong directly in props.conf, not in transforms.conf stanza. And again - if you have a bigger environment than an all-in-one setup, this goes into the search-head tier.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...