Training + Certification Discussions

Hello, if I learn splunk only can I get a job. Or do I have to study for a specific career and have splunk as anaddition

GabriellaLaPlac
Engager

Hello, I was wondering if I learn splunk can I get a job. Or do I have to have a specific career title , like a cyber security career title, and have splunk as an additional thing.

Can I learn splunk whilst not working at a company that uses splunk and get a job.

If so, which splunk job role do you think would help me get a remote job. I live on a small island .

Also, are there any websites online where people practice and help by doing splunk projects together. To learn and to also have experience to put on a resume.

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The best way (IMO) to learn Splunk is to install it on your workstation/laptop and use it.  Obtain the software from splunk.com.  You do not need to work at a company that uses Splunk to use Splunk yourself.

Free classes are available at education.splunk.com.

That said, knowing Splunk does not mean you can get a job.  While it will help, you will still need to convince a potential employer that you can add value to the company.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As with any such questions, the answer is "it depends". If you're lucky, you might get strictly Splunk-related job but it will sooner or later involve non-splunk knowledge and will require you to have some abilities besides Splunk (with Splunk environment administration you should have at least some idea what's going on in your system in general and have some knowledge about general IT and systems administration; with data ingestion it's often useful to know what you're ingesting and understand the data).

On the other hand, you might get a job just using Splunk to get what you want from data that's being accumulated by your organization. So it's important that you know what you need (and that's outside Splunk scope) and how to get it (and here's where Splunk knowledge plays an important part).

Also, as @richgalloway already mentioned - you can get Splunk Free and start using it. It's most interesting if you can find a use for it in your current situation (at work or at home). For example - I track my cars and visualize them on a map with my home Splunk installation, among other things. Nobody says that you need to have several terabytes of raw data daily to start using Splunk. You can start small. You can ingest data exported from your music streaming platform and check your stats (what band you're using the most, which pieces you skip after no more than 30 seconds and so on and so forth). The possibilites are endless.

cert-team-admin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @GabriellaLaPlac, in addition to Rich's suggestions above, we offer Learning Paths that you can follow. You can explore learning paths by job title, by certification, or by product. Each of these paths guide you to which courses and certifications to take in order to succeed in that category. There are several free courses within these paths as well. Happy training! 

GabriellaLaPlac
Engager

Thank you for your response.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The best way (IMO) to learn Splunk is to install it on your workstation/laptop and use it.  Obtain the software from splunk.com.  You do not need to work at a company that uses Splunk to use Splunk yourself.

Free classes are available at education.splunk.com.

That said, knowing Splunk does not mean you can get a job.  While it will help, you will still need to convince a potential employer that you can add value to the company.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...