Splunk Search

regex skipping items with square brackets

sphiwee
Contributor

My regular expression has been working fine.. but now theres data with "[]" and it is being skipped

here is the regex 

| rex "^(?<Date>\d+-\d+-\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+)\s+\[[^\]]*\]\s*\[(?<Process>[^\]]*)\]\s*\[(?<Step>[^\]]*)\]\s*\[(?<User>[^\]]*)\]\s*[^\[]+\s\[(?<Log_level>[^\]]+)"
| search Log_level="ERROR"

this log entry is being skipped

13:42:21 [gaming-run-9999999-hit-99999991-step-6129] [[FALSE] Gaming Cans Gaming Redesigned API v.2.6.3] [Consolidated Card Refund Business Process  (Gaminggaming)] [] GameTask [ERROR]

Do I need to update my reg expression?

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have [FALSE] in your process which is disrupting the match. Assuming this is optional, you could try this:

| rex "^(?<Date>\d+-\d+-\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+)\s+\[[^\]]*\]\s*\[(?<Process>(\[[^\]]*\]\s)?[^\]]*)\]\s*\[(?<Step>[^\]]*)\]\s*\[(?<User>[^\]]*)\]\s*[^\[]+\s\[(?<Log_level>[^\]]+)"

Also, you example doesn't have a date at the beginning which I assumed was a copy paste error. If not, you would have to change that part of the expression too

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us at the Builder Bar at .conf24 – Empowering Innovation and Collaboration

What is the Builder Bar? The Builder Bar is more than just a place; it's a hub of creativity, collaboration, ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...