how does splunk analyse URL?

crazyeva
Contributor

for example:
x.company1.com
x.x.company2.com.cn
x.x.x.company3.cn
x.company4.co.jp
how to extract with rex those "companyn"s?
edit:
infact i face a problem that my expression tooks "com" as a company

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcoles
Communicator

This can be difficult, since so many top level domains are possible. If you have a fixed list of tld's that are common in your result set, you could use a regex like this to extract the website name (eg, google) from an existing field (eg, referer😞

(?P< website>[^. ]*)\.(?:co[m]?|net|cn|ca)

(Note that the space in front of the field name, website, is only there because the forum code required them for parsing, remove them in your rex command and/or transforms). Example usage (with the extra space):

index=weblogs referer=* | rex field=referer "(?P< referer_website>[^. ]*)\.(?:co[m]?|net|cn|ca)" | top referer_website

View solution in original post

gcoles
Communicator

This can be difficult, since so many top level domains are possible. If you have a fixed list of tld's that are common in your result set, you could use a regex like this to extract the website name (eg, google) from an existing field (eg, referer😞

(?P< website>[^. ]*)\.(?:co[m]?|net|cn|ca)

(Note that the space in front of the field name, website, is only there because the forum code required them for parsing, remove them in your rex command and/or transforms). Example usage (with the extra space):

index=weblogs referer=* | rex field=referer "(?P< referer_website>[^. ]*)\.(?:co[m]?|net|cn|ca)" | top referer_website
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...