Splunk Search

Why is "rex field" not producing results when used in an API call?

selsin
Engager

Search works correctly in Splunk Web:

index=xxxx | rex field=_raw "InvalidLogin\|NotFound\|(?<client>\w+)" | stats count by client

But using it in an API call returns nothing:

curl -u user:'password' -k https://localhost:8089/services/search/jobs/export -d search='search index=xxxx | rex field=_raw "InvalidLogin\|NotFound\|(?<client>\w+)" | stats count by client' -d output_mode=csv -d earliest_time="-1d" -d latest_time="-1m"

I can get other searches to execute correctly via API calls, and even other versions of this search that return multiple other fields. But if I ask it to return field "client" also, it always renders nothing for output.

0 Karma
1 Solution

micahkemp
Champion

Have you tried specifying your search with --data-urlencode instead of -d (which doensn't URL encode). Your search contains a +, which I believe represents a space unless URL encoded.

View solution in original post

micahkemp
Champion

Have you tried specifying your search with --data-urlencode instead of -d (which doensn't URL encode). Your search contains a +, which I believe represents a space unless URL encoded.

selsin
Engager

That did it. Thanks!

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Are there really asterisks in that regex around the word "client" in the two searches?

If asterisk-client-asterisk is a valid name, it needs to be used in the "by" clause as well as the rex.

0 Karma

selsin
Engager

Corrected the above queries. They now show correctly.

0 Karma

scott_cultuream

Were you able to figure this out? I'm having the same issue. rex doesn't seem to generate new fields when used in the API

0 Karma

selsin
Engager

No was never able to get it to work. We ended up having to write a perl script to parse the output instead.

0 Karma

scott_cultuream

I actually was able to make it work.

For some reason, the rex expression that I was using in the UI didn't work. But when I rewrote to be based off of _raw rather than another field, that did the trick. You have to write a more complex expression, but for me, it wasn't terrible.

0 Karma

selsin
Engager

No, there are no asterisks. It is actually like this: (?<client>\w+)
When I was putting the question in, the preview window showed only (?\w+). So adding asterisks made it print in italics, but at least show correctly. Didn't know that once the question got approved and posted it would literally add the asterisks in.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...