Splunk Search

What is the function of host_regex?

dkr3500
Path Finder

In our Splunk forwarder, in the path: /opt/splunk/etc/apps/app01/default we have many stanzas such as:

[monitor:///export/data/syslog-ng/sentry*/messages]
disabled   = false
host_regex = /export/data/syslog-ng/(.*?)/messages
index      = asalg
sourcetype = cisco_asa

And under every stanza there is the following line:

host_regex = /export/data/syslog-ng/(.*?)/messages

I am very curious to know what the "/(.*?)/" means?

Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

The host_regex is used to extract the hostname from the monitored path. In regular expressions (...) denotes a capturing group, so that is what actually captures the hostname, from that part of the path. The .*? means that it accepts all kinds of characters for the hostname, but using the ? it only captures things until it actually finds something that matches what comes after the ?. In this case the "/messages" bit.

View solution in original post

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

The host_regex is used to extract the hostname from the monitored path. In regular expressions (...) denotes a capturing group, so that is what actually captures the hostname, from that part of the path. The .*? means that it accepts all kinds of characters for the hostname, but using the ? it only captures things until it actually finds something that matches what comes after the ?. In this case the "/messages" bit.

dkr3500
Path Finder

Thanks FriankVI !

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...