Splunk Search

Is it possible to use | format to get !=?

fredclown
Contributor

I have a search and in the initial part of the search I have a subquery that returns some IP addresses formatted like this using the | format command.

(ip="10.10.10.10 OR ip="1.1.1.1" OR ip="2.2.2.2")

I have a different search where I want to negate it. Is there a way to do this? I know that the format command does allow you to do things like this ...

(NOT ip="10.10.10.10 NOT ip="1.1.1.1" NOT ip="2.2.2.2")

However, NOT ip="value" is not the same as ip!="value" in Splunk land. So, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has a great way in a subquery to pass back the field/value pairs with != rather than =. My hunch is | format can't do it, but maybe there is a different way. Hope that makes sense.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Remember that if your subsearch returns a field called "search", it's returned verbatim to the outer search. So you can craft a search string yourself if the format command isn't sufficient.

Run-anywhere example:

| makeresults count=20
| streamstats count
| search
[| makeresults count=10
| streamstats count
| table count
| eval count="count!=".count
| stats values(count) as search
| eval search=mvjoin(search," AND ")]

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Remember that if your subsearch returns a field called "search", it's returned verbatim to the outer search. So you can craft a search string yourself if the format command isn't sufficient.

Run-anywhere example:

| makeresults count=20
| streamstats count
| search
[| makeresults count=10
| streamstats count
| table count
| eval count="count!=".count
| stats values(count) as search
| eval search=mvjoin(search," AND ")]

fredclown
Contributor

That is a good option. I think my way would  work as well, but I like the output of something like this better. It looks cleaner.

0 Karma

fredclown
Contributor

After thinking about it more for a bit I think this should work and do the same thing as != for each field/value pair but still allows me to use | format.

| format "ip=* AND (NOT" "" "" "" "NOT" ")"

I think this should give me the same results. Does this look right? 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...