Splunk Search

How to match case on multiple value assigned

aa0
Path Finder

Hi all,

I'm trying to create category based on host category: Lab,Personal,Staff and get workstations to be counted for each category. I tried using below and it gives desired results however it doesn't work when I applied boolean expression (OR) on more details in certain category.

<base search>| eval category = case(match(host,"ABC-*"),"Staff",match(host,"DESKTOP*" OR host,"PC-*"),"Lab",true(),"Personal")|stats count by category,host|sort -count|stats sum(count) as Total list(host) as Workstation_Name list(count) as count by category|where Total>1|sort Total

Expected Result:

category | Total |     Workstation_Name     | count

Staff          5                   ABC123                            2

ABC345                           3

Lab            2               DESKTOP123                     1

PC123                           1

Personal   1                        Etc...                              1

Any help would be much appreciated!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @aa0,

thesecond condition of the case is wrong and then there's the problem that the values in list are sorted by value, so they aren't aligned and you have to make a workaround:

<base search>
| eval category=case(match(host,"ABC-*"),"Staff",match(host,"DESKTOP*") OR match(host,"PC-*"),"Lab",true(),"Personal")
| stats values(category) AS category count by host
| eval column=host."|".count
| stats sum(count) as Total values(column) as column BY category
| where Total>1
| rex field=column "^(?< Workstation_Name>[^\|]+)\|(?<count>\d+)"
| sort Total
| table category Total Workstation_Name count

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval category = case(match(host,"ABC-*"),"Staff",match(host,"DESKTOP*") OR match(host,"PC-*"),"Lab",true(),"Personal")

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @aa0,

thesecond condition of the case is wrong and then there's the problem that the values in list are sorted by value, so they aren't aligned and you have to make a workaround:

<base search>
| eval category=case(match(host,"ABC-*"),"Staff",match(host,"DESKTOP*") OR match(host,"PC-*"),"Lab",true(),"Personal")
| stats values(category) AS category count by host
| eval column=host."|".count
| stats sum(count) as Total values(column) as column BY category
| where Total>1
| rex field=column "^(?< Workstation_Name>[^\|]+)\|(?<count>\d+)"
| sort Total
| table category Total Workstation_Name count

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...