Splunk Search

How to extract certain words and exclude words from string?

marinella26
Explorer

Hello,

I want to extract certain words only and exclude that comes after numbers.

ex.
Apple12ed
Apple456ppp
Orange234iw
Banana7ye

expected result:
Apple 
Orange 
Banana 

I have tried below, but the each string has different numbers and words, so the result is not correct.

| eval Fruits = substr(Fruits, 1, len(Fruits)-4)

incorrect Result:
Apple
Apple45
Orange2
Banan

Thanks in advance.

Labels (7)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @marinella26 ,

I suppose that the words to extract are in a field, so you can use the rex command to extract the word in each field, something like this:

<your_Search>
| rex field=your_field "^(?<word>[A-Za-z]*)"
| table word

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

marinella26
Explorer

There are more than 100 strings, so it is not ideal to use <eval> to create each strings.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @marinella26 ,

I suppose that the words to extract are in a field, so you can use the rex command to extract the word in each field, something like this:

<your_Search>
| rex field=your_field "^(?<word>[A-Za-z]*)"
| table word

Ciao.

Giuseppe

duesser
Path Finder

Maybe using

^(?P<word>[a-zA-Z]+)(?=\d)

would be more exact, as it does not return an empty match on strings that do not start with a letter such as "_Apple". Furthermore, it makes sure the word is followed by a digit and does not match "Apple_" for example.

marinella26
Explorer

@gcusello It worked!! Thank you so much.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...