Splunk Search

How to delete Windows logs after it was read by Splunk?

PTIch
Engager

Hi All,

I have a large number of Windows logs in directory. How can I automatically delete them from the disk space after Splunk saves them and the folder size will be bigger than 5 gigabytes? Where can I write such configuration?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @PTIch,

if you're speaking of windows eventlogs, you have to configure your Windows EvenLog to have a minor retention (e.g. 24/48 hours).

If you're speaking of logs in files, you have to create a shell script that deletes files older than 24/48 hours.

This isn't a Splunk question.

ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @PTIch,

if you're speaking of windows eventlogs, you have to configure your Windows EvenLog to have a minor retention (e.g. 24/48 hours).

If you're speaking of logs in files, you have to create a shell script that deletes files older than 24/48 hours.

This isn't a Splunk question.

ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @PTIch ,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...