Splunk Search

How to count the number of unique value of reports over the course of a Month?

Username1
Path Finder

So suppose that everyday Splunk takes in a report that houses 9 different fields, one of which is called 'status'. Status has the option of being 'New', 'Closed', or 'Open'. Because the report is sent to Splunk everyday, a report with ID =1 will indicate "Open" everyday that it is "Open", so (for example) from 1/1/20, 1/2/2020,...,1/5/20 it is 'Open' and on  1/6/20  it is "Closed". So what I'm trying to do is sum up all unique reportId's for a given month, so from my example it should only return a value of 1 for 'OPEN' and 1 for "Closed' when I sum it up for the month of January.  My current query is below but this counts the number of days a reportId was 'Open' that month. So my query is returning 5 from my example above for 'OPEN'.  The last part of the query I wanted to find the 'Rate" of 'Open'/'Closed' but as you guessed it isn't doing it for all of them and only individually.  

index=base 
| bin _time span=1month
| stats count(eval(status="Open")) as OPEN, count(eval(status="Closed")) as CLOSED by reportName, _time, reportId
| eval Rate=abs(OPEN/CLOSED)

Does anyone have any suggestions with how to solve my problem, any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. (End goal is a timechart of OPEN, CLOSED, Rate with the x axis as time in months and the y be total number of unique reportIds for that month)

Labels (6)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Username1
Path Finder

To whomever may need this out there the correct function to use was dc. I didn't need it for closed because I was only counting those once to begin with. 

index=stuff
| bin _time span=1month
| stats dc(eval(status="OPEN")) as OPEN, count(eval(status="CLOSED")) as CLOSED by reportId, reportName, _time
| stats sum(CLOSED) as CLOSED, sum(OPEN) as OPEN by _time
| eval Rate=round(CLOSED/OPEN,3)*100

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Username1
Path Finder

To whomever may need this out there the correct function to use was dc. I didn't need it for closed because I was only counting those once to begin with. 

index=stuff
| bin _time span=1month
| stats dc(eval(status="OPEN")) as OPEN, count(eval(status="CLOSED")) as CLOSED by reportId, reportName, _time
| stats sum(CLOSED) as CLOSED, sum(OPEN) as OPEN by _time
| eval Rate=round(CLOSED/OPEN,3)*100

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...