Splunk Search

How to compare two fields with every value?

username13
Explorer

Hi guys. I'm completly new to Splunk. Sorry if my question seems kinda stupid 🙂

I have some log-data including a GUID. Those are separated in two kinds: "error" and "times". Sometimes, an error-log has the same GUID as a times-log. I need to count those double GUIDs, for that reason I have to extract the GUIDs from their original field und compare them with each other.

I managed to extract them with Regex into two new fields. But now I'm searching for an opportunity to compare every error-GUID with every times-GUID.

Thanks for your help! 🙂

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are the two GUIDs in the same event or different events?  If so, a simple where command should find the duplicates.

... | where errorGUID = timesGUID

If they're in different events, then we'll need to create a common field so the stats command can group events.  Then keep only the results where two events have the same GUID.

... | eval GUID=coalesce(errorGUID, timesGUID)
| stats count, values(*) as * by GUID
| where count=2

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are the two GUIDs in the same event or different events?  If so, a simple where command should find the duplicates.

... | where errorGUID = timesGUID

If they're in different events, then we'll need to create a common field so the stats command can group events.  Then keep only the results where two events have the same GUID.

... | eval GUID=coalesce(errorGUID, timesGUID)
| stats count, values(*) as * by GUID
| where count=2

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

username13
Explorer

It worked. Thank you so much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...