Splunk Search

How can I count both events that are tagged and those that aren't?

Phil219
Path Finder

I currently use the following to count the number of names that are tagged as cool:

... tag::cool | stats dc("Name")

This gives me a count of cool kids. I would like to compare the number of kids that are "cool" with those that are not cool. Any ideas how I can get those two numbers?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi Phil219,

you can do something like this:

tag::cool OR tag::uncool | stats count(eval(tag="cool")) AS cool count(eval(tag="uncool")) AS uncool count AS total

to get a count of cool things, uncool things and a total count of both events.

Update
Just in case there is no tag::uncool you can use this search:

tag::* OR NOT tag::* | stats count(eval(tag="cool")) AS cool sum(eval(if(isnull(tag), 1, 0))) AS uncool count AS total

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
Legend

Hi Phil219,

you can do something like this:

tag::cool OR tag::uncool | stats count(eval(tag="cool")) AS cool count(eval(tag="uncool")) AS uncool count AS total

to get a count of cool things, uncool things and a total count of both events.

Update
Just in case there is no tag::uncool you can use this search:

tag::* OR NOT tag::* | stats count(eval(tag="cool")) AS cool sum(eval(if(isnull(tag), 1, 0))) AS uncool count AS total

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

Phil219
Path Finder

Works! Thank you!

0 Karma

Phil219
Path Finder

Nice! Thank you MuS! I have not "uncool" tag... I will give this a shot...

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

hmm, maybe I did misunderstood your question.... do you have a tag::uncool or only a tag for tag::cool?

MuS
Legend

updated the answer ...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...