Splunk Search

Eval a token value and pass it on a search

subhrangshu
Explorer

Hi,

I have a dashboard where I have a drop down which returns me a string. The xml of the drop down is below:

<input type="dropdown" token="jobID" searchWhenChanged="true">
<label>JOB ID II</label>
<fieldForLabel>JOB-ID-WITH-TIME</fieldForLabel>
<fieldForValue>JOB-ID-WITH-TIME</fieldForValue>
<search>
<query>index=test sourcetype="testabc"
| rename sre_job_id as JOB_ID
| stats earliest(_time) AS Earliest by JOB_ID
| eval FirstEvent=strftime(Earliest,"%b %d %Y, %H:%M:%S")
| eval JOB_ID_STR=tostring(JOB_ID)
| eval JOB-ID-WITH-TIME=JOB_ID + "-" + FirstEvent
| table JOB-ID-WITH-TIME
| dedup JOB-ID-WITH-TIME
| sort JOB-ID-WITH-TIME</query>
<earliest>$timeToken.earliest$</earliest>
<latest>$timeToken.latest$</latest>
</search>
</input>

This drop down returns me data something  like: 6802-Jul 20 2020, 10:41:14 (an ID with a date separated by a dash).

Now, I have a tabular report where I want to use just the ID (6802) in the search for the report to show data. The xml for the tabular report is below:

<table>
<title>TOTAL TIME for JOB $jobID$</title>
<search>
<query>index=test sourcetype="testabc" sre_job_id=$jobID$ Perf_Type=Perf*
| stats sum(Time_Taken) as NetTime_secs by Perf_Type
| eval NetTime_mins=(NetTime_secs/60)
| table Perf_Type, NetTime_mins
| sort -Perf_Type
<earliest>0</earliest>
<latest></latest> 

The problem with the above query is sre_job_id=$jobID$ gets the whole value 6802-Jul 20 2020, 10:41:14 and hence do not shown any results, whereas it expects only 6802 to show some data.

I tried to eval the token and split the token data but not able to use the split data into my search. This is what I have tried:

index=test sourcetype="testabc" Perf_Type=Perf*
[| makeresults | eval test="6802-Jul 20 2020, 10:41:14" | eval results=split(test,"-") | eval job_id=mvindex(results,0)] sre_job_id=job_id. 

For now tried hard coding the value, but no luck.

Could someone please help on this. I hope the question is clear.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @subhrangshu 

The subsearch part of the query - the bit between the square brackets [ ... ] - is run first and the results simply inserted into the base search as if it was part of the initial base search. 

You can test the subsearch in a separate search to see what I mean. 

| makeresults | eval sre_job_id=replace("6720-Aug 04 2020, 16:05:04", "-.*", "") | return sre_job_id

Result:
sre_job_id="6720"

So drop the extra sre_job_id=sre_job_id from your base search as it is not needed and means no results are being returned from your search query.

index=test sourcetype="testabc" Perf_Type=Perf* [ | makeresults | eval sre_job_id=replace("6720-Aug 04 2020, 16:05:04", "-.*", "") | return sre_job_id ] 

Splunk will translates this into a base search that looks like this:

index=test sourcetype="testabc" Perf_Type=Perf* sre_job_id="6720" | ...

Hope that makes some sense.

View solution in original post

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @subhrangshu 

Looks like you were getting pretty close.  Try this...

index=test sourcetype="testabc" Perf_Type=Perf* [ | makeresults | eval sre_job_id=replace("$jobID$", "-.*", "") | return sre_job_id ] | ...

Hope that helps

0 Karma

subhrangshu
Explorer

Thanks a lot for your reply @yeahnah 

So, as per your suggestion my search query looks like this:

index=test sourcetype="testabc" [ | makeresults | eval sre_job_id=replace("6720-Aug 04 2020, 16:05:04", "-.*", "") | return sre_job_id ] sre_job_id=sre_job_id Perf_Type=Perf*

But this query returns me no result. But if I use this below search instead, I get data back:

index=test sourcetype="testabc"  sre_job_id=6720 Perf_Type=Perf*

6720-Aug 04 2020, 16:05:04: is the value that I got from drop down and was passed upon to this tabular report query from the token.

Am I missing something here or doing anything wrong. Thanks again.

0 Karma

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @subhrangshu 

The subsearch part of the query - the bit between the square brackets [ ... ] - is run first and the results simply inserted into the base search as if it was part of the initial base search. 

You can test the subsearch in a separate search to see what I mean. 

| makeresults | eval sre_job_id=replace("6720-Aug 04 2020, 16:05:04", "-.*", "") | return sre_job_id

Result:
sre_job_id="6720"

So drop the extra sre_job_id=sre_job_id from your base search as it is not needed and means no results are being returned from your search query.

index=test sourcetype="testabc" Perf_Type=Perf* [ | makeresults | eval sre_job_id=replace("6720-Aug 04 2020, 16:05:04", "-.*", "") | return sre_job_id ] 

Splunk will translates this into a base search that looks like this:

index=test sourcetype="testabc" Perf_Type=Perf* sre_job_id="6720" | ...

Hope that makes some sense.

subhrangshu
Explorer

@yeahnah Awesome explanation. Thanks for the help 😀

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...