Splunk Search

Display the top 5 line chart field values

mcg_connor
Path Finder

I'm having some trouble with getting the top 5 line values on a line chart. My current search is below

index=db  sourcetype="dbmetrics" db_type IN (DB2, SQLSERVER) 
|eval db_inst=db_instance +" - "   +application
|eval db_app=database +" - " +application
|eval db_info=coalesce(db_app, db_inst)
|timechart span=1h eval(round(avg(db_connections),0)) as DB values(DB) by db_info useother=false limit=0

The problem is that when I add where MAX in top5 I get the warning splunk Series filtering is disabled if a split-by field average.
Is there another way to get this to work?
Currently it looks like this but I want it to just show the top 5 lines.
alt text

Note: I have to take the average of db_connections due to certain db_instances having multiple events per hour

Thanks for any help.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Why can't you just use this?

...  |timechart span=1h eval(round(avg(db_connections),0)) as DB values(DB) by db_info useother=false limit=5

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Why can't you just use this?

...  |timechart span=1h eval(round(avg(db_connections),0)) as DB values(DB) by db_info useother=false limit=5

Sukisen1981
Champion
|addtotals col=f row=t | sort - Total| head 5|fields - Total
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...