Splunk Search

Best way to search using a lookup table?

Jason
Motivator

I'm running a search across a bunch of data, say web logs, that has a lot of different src_ips.

I make a lookup of a handful of src_ips that I want to take a look at:

lookup table [iptable]

src_ip

What is the best way to search across all of my data (sourcetype=web, for instance) and ONLY show items matching my lookup file?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Assuming there is a field in your data called src_ip, and that you have (say) millions of events and less than a few hundred entries in your lookup table, the most efficient way is probably:

sourcetype=web [ inputlookup iptable | fields src_ip ]

If the field in the sourcetype is called, say, source_address, you could do:

sourcetype=web [ inputlookup iptable | fields src_ip | rename src_ip as souce_address ]

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Assuming there is a field in your data called src_ip, and that you have (say) millions of events and less than a few hundred entries in your lookup table, the most efficient way is probably:

sourcetype=web [ inputlookup iptable | fields src_ip ]

If the field in the sourcetype is called, say, source_address, you could do:

sourcetype=web [ inputlookup iptable | fields src_ip | rename src_ip as souce_address ]

Jason
Motivator

sourcetype=web | join src_ip [inputlookup iptable] ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...