Splunk Enterprise Security

After running a search which uses a lookup file to whitelist certain domains, I'm receiving the following error: "Regex: UTF-8 error: byte 2 top bits not 0x80"

samyool36
Explorer

I am attempting to run a search which matches specific domain names. In this search, I am using a lookup file to whitelist certain domains. When I am running this search, I am getting the error: Regex: UTF-8 error: byte 2 top bits not 0x80

My search is as follows:

| tstats `summariesonly` values(Web.dest) as domain min(_time) as firstTime from datamodel=Web by Web.src 
| `drop_dm_object_name("Web")` 
| `ctime(firstTime)`
|  mvexpand domain
| search NOT (domain="exampledomain.com")
|  rex field=domain "www.(?<domain>\S+)"
|  search NOT 
    [| inputlookup whitelisted_domains.csv 
    | rename "Domain Name" as domain
    | fields domain]

I believe the issue appears to be with the lookup file itself. It works if I extract certain fields but not the Domain Name field. Are there limitations in what characters can be included in a lookup like this? Is there something else that may be causing this issue?

0 Karma
1 Solution

samyool36
Explorer

I was able to fix this by doing the following:

• Export the lookup table from Splunk
  • Open this in Notepad++ and select Encoding > Encode in UTF-8
  • Add the lookup to Splunk

View solution in original post

0 Karma

samyool36
Explorer

I was able to fix this by doing the following:

• Export the lookup table from Splunk
  • Open this in Notepad++ and select Encoding > Encode in UTF-8
  • Add the lookup to Splunk
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...