Security

srcFilter by metrics index and host OR lookup value

dimasfs
Explorer

Hello there,

we use search filters on our role management concept.

It works fine but we got stuck on the following problem:

Since some of hour hosts have a physical hostname (srv1, srv2, srv3,...) and a virtual hostname (server1-db, server2-db, server3-db, server1-web, server2-web, server3-app), we had to use a lookup table (on the search heads) in order to have the virtual names mapped to the physical hostname (which are the names identified by the splunk forwarder).

Our Lookup table look like this:

sys_name,srv_name
srv1,server-db1
srv2,server-db2
srv3,server-web1
srv4,server-web2
srv5,server-app1
srv6,server-app2

my Role settings look like this:

[role_metrics_db]
srchFilter = index=metrics AND (host=server-db* OR srv_name=server-db*)

[role_metrics_web]
srchFilter = index=metrics AND (host=server-web* OR srv_name=server-web*)

[role_metrics_app]
srchFilter = index=metrics AND (host=server-app* OR srv_name=server-app*)

Unfortunately my search filters do not recognize either the fields "sys_name" or "srv_name". 

Should the search filters be done different? Does someone had the same challenge?

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers! 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dimasfs
Explorer

After some research I could verify the I need to make an indexed Lookup, so the fields will be indexes together with the data.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dimasfs
Explorer

After some research I could verify the I need to make an indexed Lookup, so the fields will be indexes together with the data.

0 Karma

dtburrows3
Builder

I think your lookup will need to be applied as an Automatic lookup for the srv_name field to be recognized at search time and work at the srchFilter role restriction level.
And probably the permissions for the CSV, Lookup Definition, and Autolookup need to all be available for the role that the restriction is being applied.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...