Reporting

Alerts aren't sending emails: error - "501, 'Syntactically invalid HELO argument(s)') while sending mail to"

mmukherjee
Explorer

I have created an alert in Splunk which when triggered sends an email to a specified mail id. But sadly, the mail is not getting sent. I checked the python.log file to find this:

501, 'Syntactically invalid HELO argument(s)') while sending mail to

Has anyone encountered this before? What could the reason for this issue? Any fixes?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi
there could be a communication problem in the SMTP level, during the ehlo/helo command exchange.
It can be caused by many reasons:

• Firewall;
  • Authentication issue;
  • Hostname of the machine is different to what the mailserver expects;
  • Underscore(_) in the host name (underscore character is not a permitted character for the hostname).

Verify if the mail service is running scheduling a simple report.
Bye.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi
there could be a communication problem in the SMTP level, during the ehlo/helo command exchange.
It can be caused by many reasons:

• Firewall;
  • Authentication issue;
  • Hostname of the machine is different to what the mailserver expects;
  • Underscore(_) in the host name (underscore character is not a permitted character for the hostname).

Verify if the mail service is running scheduling a simple report.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

mmukherjee
Explorer

What is this error all about, any idea sir?

sendemail:452 - [SSL: WRONG_VERSION_NUMBER] wrong version number (_ssl.c:676) while sending mail to

ajitshukla61116
Path Finder

I am also getting same error ,could you please tell me the solution

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...