Knowledge Management

error message when using backfill script for summary index

alextsui
Path Finder

Hi, When I run the backfill script I get the following error message:

[root@splunk_search_head bin]# ./splunk cmd python fill_summary_index.py -app Catch -name summary_daily_statistics -et -9mon@mon -lt now -owner admin -auth admin:xxxxxx
An instance of fill_summary_index is already running for app=Catch
[root@splunk_search_head bin]#

Any idea on how to fix the problem?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Lowell
Super Champion

First, make sure that another instance isn't running. A command something like this should do the trick:

ps aux | grep fill_summary_index

If it's not, then check for a temporary file in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Catch/log/. If you have a "lock" file in that location, you should be able to remove it and then run fill_summary_index should work after that.

I believe the limitation is running on one instance of fill_summary_index per splunk application.

View solution in original post

Lowell
Super Champion

First, make sure that another instance isn't running. A command something like this should do the trick:

ps aux | grep fill_summary_index

If it's not, then check for a temporary file in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Catch/log/. If you have a "lock" file in that location, you should be able to remove it and then run fill_summary_index should work after that.

I believe the limitation is running on one instance of fill_summary_index per splunk application.

lakshman237
Path Finder

Thanks. removing the lock file works

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...