Installation

Open multiple receiving ports on a indexer cluster

aguilard
Explorer

Hello,

I would like to separate my data streams by opening three receving ports.
I have a multisite indexer cluster and I have created an app with this default inputs.conf file

[tcp://9998]
disabled = 0
index = iscore_test
sourcetype = iscore_test
connection_host = ip

[tcp://9999]
disabled = 0
index = iscore_prod
sourcetype = iscore_prod
connection_host = ip

But when I check the receiving ports on the indexer it only shows the 9997 (that I would like to use just for splunk internal logs)

aguilard_0-1702982163648.png

I think there is a faster way to do this rather than set the receiving ports manually in each indexer. I already checked and the app that I created was successfully copied to the indexers.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi  @aguilard,

if you're speaking of forwarding and receiving between Splunk systems (as it seeems from your screenshot), the inputs.conf that you used are wrong, these are for TCP network inputs.

as you can read at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.2/Admin/Inputsconf#inputs.conf.example , , the correct ones for forwarding and receiving are 

[splunktcp://:9997]
disabled = 0

[splunktcp://:9998]
disabled = 0

[splunktcp://:9999]
disabled = 0

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi  @aguilard,

if you're speaking of forwarding and receiving between Splunk systems (as it seeems from your screenshot), the inputs.conf that you used are wrong, these are for TCP network inputs.

as you can read at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.2/Admin/Inputsconf#inputs.conf.example , , the correct ones for forwarding and receiving are 

[splunktcp://:9997]
disabled = 0

[splunktcp://:9998]
disabled = 0

[splunktcp://:9999]
disabled = 0

Ciao.

Giuseppe

aguilard
Explorer

Thanks for your response @gcusello 

Maybe I do not understand some splunk concepts very well.

All I want is if an event arrives to the port 9998 it should be indexed in the index iscore_test. As if it the event arrives to the port the event should be indexed in the index iscore_prod. The inputs.conf that I setted for this app would be correct?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @aguilard,

as I said which kind of logs are you speaking of?

if syslogs, using the tcp protocol on port 9998 and 9999 the inputs you used are correct, but you cannot see them in the dashboard you shared in the screenshot, you have to search them in the TCP network inputs [Inputs > Network Inputs > TCP].

if instead you want to receive logs from another Splunk system (e.g. a Universal Forwarder) you can see in the dashboard you shared in the screenshot but you have to use the conf files I hinted.

Probably you have some confusion in the kind of inputs: they are two different kind of inputs that are displayed in different dashboards.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

aguilard
Explorer

Hi @gcusello 

I think I understand now... Yes I want to receive logs from UFW.
In that case I only need to set the inputs.conf file as you said and in the UFWs set the values for index and sourcetype, right?

Thank you. 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @aguilard,

if you want to receive logs from UFs, you don't need different ports to have different indexes, you can configure the inputs on the Forwarders addressing the correct index, so you can use one input on the indexers that's easier to manage.

The inputs on the Forwarders an be manager by te Deployment Server, for more infos abut this see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.2/Updating/Aboutdeploymentserver

let me know if I can help you more, or, please, accept one answer for the other people of Community.

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

Ciao.

Giuseppe

aguilard
Explorer

The indexes.conf is it copied succesfully and the indexer create the indexes correctly, the problem is the inputs.conf that is not working properly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...