Installation

Join Splunk Enterprise Stand-Alone SH to Indexer Cluster

JohnEGones
Path Finder

Hi Fellow Splunkers,

Perhaps I can get some different perspective, I am setting up a new standalone SH to be joined to an existing indexer cluster, but I seem to be running into an issue where when I try to point this server to the idx cluster, specifying the idx CM as the manager [manager_uri], I get an error where the SH will not be joined as a SH node.

I am referencing the DOCS here: Enable the search head - Splunk Documentation

I also note that there is an existing SH cluster that is joined to the indexer cluster.

When I edit the server.conf I get an error that the SH cannot connect to the manager node, even though I have verified and double-checked the stanzas and key values. 

From what I have described, what might be the issue?

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

JohnEGones
Path Finder

So I got a resolution elsewhere, and I want to close this post out with a resolution so it is help to anyone else:

"You should be able to fix that problem and join the cluster by updating your server.conf as follows."

[general]
site = site1

[clustering]
multisite = true
manager_uri = https://YourClusterManagerIP:8089
mode = searchhead
pass4SymmKey = ClearText

"To configure a search head in a multisite cluster, you set a site attribute in the [general] stanza and a multisite attribute in the [clustering] stanza. All other configuration settings are identical to a search head in a single-site cluster.

Be sure to use the clear text pass4symmkey again and restart the splunk service."

View solution in original post

0 Karma

JohnEGones
Path Finder

Hi guys,

Thanks for responding, and apologies for the long delay.

There is an error for one of the multisite variables not being configured properly and then a bunch of subsequent errors that the server cannot reach to the CM.

I will also add that this is a HA multisite config and idk how this impacts how the needed cluster stanza variables that need to be configured.

0 Karma

JohnEGones
Path Finder

So I got a resolution elsewhere, and I want to close this post out with a resolution so it is help to anyone else:

"You should be able to fix that problem and join the cluster by updating your server.conf as follows."

[general]
site = site1

[clustering]
multisite = true
manager_uri = https://YourClusterManagerIP:8089
mode = searchhead
pass4SymmKey = ClearText

"To configure a search head in a multisite cluster, you set a site attribute in the [general] stanza and a multisite attribute in the [clustering] stanza. All other configuration settings are identical to a search head in a single-site cluster.

Be sure to use the clear text pass4symmkey again and restart the splunk service."

0 Karma

marnall
Builder

Unfortunately this error does not give any reason _why_ the search head cannot connect to the manager node. If the stanza is exactly correct between the working search head and the non-working search head, then it could be a network connectivity issue or a firewall issue rather than a splunk issue.

Do you see any errors in the _internal logs that may describe the reason why the search head was failing to connect?

kiran_panchavat
Communicator

@JohnEGones 

Here you go, https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/Configuresearchheadwithserverconf

Does my answer above solve your question ? If yes, spare a moment to accept the answer and vote for it. Thanks.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...