Getting Data In

Set regex hostname from file location

dersa
Path Finder

Hi, I am having troubles with providing the correct regex to extract the hostname from the file location. The file structure looks like this 

/var/log/syslog/splunk-lb/ise/switch01.log

I need only the switch01 as hostname but splunk add switch01.log.

The regex i use is (?:[\/][^\/]*){1,}[\/](\w*)

Any idea how to modify the regex to match only switch01?

thanks

Alex

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your regex seems pretty OK. You could try to simplify it a bit (the character class is not needed if you want just one character, slashes don't need escaping and {1,} can be replaced by +)  so you could do something like this:

(?:/[^/]*)+/(\w*)

But you can simplify it even further

(?:.*)/(\w*)

You could take one thing into account though - a valid hostname can contain a dash which is not included in \w. Also, depending on your environment, if it's a FQDN, it can contain dots.

dersa
Path Finder

Cheers Rick, 

The regex I ended up is like this (?:.*)\/(\w*). The one you suggested,(?:.*)/(\w*), didn't work.  

thanks Alex

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That is puzzling. If I understand correctly, you're talking about the host_regex setting of the monitor input, right?

The docs don't say that there is any kind of escaping required. If it is however, it would be great if you posted a docs feedback (there is a form at the bottom of https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Inputsconf ) describing your situation and how it differs from the described state.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...