Getting Data In

How to search for events with domains on DNS Blocklist?

waJesu
Path Finder

I have lookup table with a DNS blocklist. What query can I use to search for events with any of the blocklisted domains. I had received advice to create a csv file with two columns: "Domain" and "suspicious" which is set to 1 for all the domains. Then I would search for the dns sourcetype and suspicious=1. This did not work.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@waJesu 

Hi,

Let's assume your events have a field named url_domain. You can combine your lookup with a subsearch to filter events:

index=main [| inputlookup blocklist.csv where suspicious=1 | table Domain | rename Domain as url_domain ]

This expands to, for example:

index=main ( ( url_domain="foo.example.com" ) OR ( url_domain="bar.example.com" ) OR ( url_domain="baz.example.com" ) )

You can also use lookups for filtering in the search pipeline:

index=main
``` perform pre-filtering tasks here ```
| lookup blocklist.csv Domain as url_domain output suspicious

| search suspicious=1

0 Karma

waJesu
Path Finder

@tscroggins Thank you for the assistance. I tried index=main 

| lookup blocklist.csv Domain as url_domain output suspicious
| search suspicious=1

It says  "the destination suspicious was not found in the blocklist.csv. My table looks like this:

waJesu_0-1679310636911.png

I am not sure where I missed it. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...