Getting Data In

How to ingest PowerShell script that outputs json?

rufflabs
Explorer

Hello, 

I have a PowerShell script that parses emails and pulls out specific header data that I want in Splunk. While writing the script I decided to have it output json as I thought that would be a good option to feed to splunk. I produced a sample json log file (one line json per message I want parsed) and setup a sourcetype via the interactive add data wizard. I then added that sourcetype to my app's props.conf. 

My issue is I cannot seem to find the right way to get splunk to execute the powershell script. I've tried script:// with the ps1, with a .path file, and recently tried powershell:// with a script parameter. Nothing seems to be working. 

Any guidance on how to make this would be great. I don't want to have to resort to a scheduled task running the script which outputs to a log file that splunk monitors, but I can do that if I need to. 

Here is my inputs.conf that I tried:

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/phishalert/bin/phishalert_output.ps1]
disabled = 1
interval = 300
index = email
source = phishalert
sourcetype = phishalert

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/phishalert/bin/phishalert_output.path]
disabled = 1
interval = 300
index = email
source = phishalert
sourcetype = phishalert

[powershell://PhishAlertOutput]
disabled = 1
script = . "$SPLUNKHOME/etc/apps/phishalert/bin/phishalert_output.ps1"
schedule = */5 * * * *
sourcetype = phishalert

Here is the props.conf:

[phishalert]
DATETIME_CONFIG = 
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
KV_MODE = none
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS = timestamp
category = Structured
description = Phish alert json data.
disabled = false
pulldown_type = true

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You use slashes as path separators, not backslashes. In my experience something like this worked:

[powershell://your-stanza-name]
script= . "$SplunkHome\etc\apps\your_app\bin\scripts\your_script.ps1

View solution in original post

0 Karma

cklunck
Path Finder

Splunk is being asked to run a PowerShell script on what looks like a *nix system. Is there a PowerShell interpreter installed on this Splunk host?

If so, you may need to do something like:

[script://path/to/pwsh $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/phishalert/bin/phishalert_output.ps1]

There are a few other options in the [script] section of inputs.conf.spec that you might want to explore, including "start_by_shell".

0 Karma

rufflabs
Explorer

This is all Windows, what makes you think it's linux? Did I misconfigure something?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You use slashes as path separators, not backslashes. In my experience something like this worked:

[powershell://your-stanza-name]
script= . "$SplunkHome\etc\apps\your_app\bin\scripts\your_script.ps1
0 Karma

rufflabs
Explorer

Hah, that shouldn't matter because PowerShell can interpret both methods, but sure enough that got it working. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...