Getting Data In

How do I Monitor a UNC path?

seanlon11
Path Finder

From server1, I have access to the desired UNC path, and this same user is running splunk, so I know access is not an issue.

\etc\apps\search\local\inputs.conf

[monitor://\\SANCIFS_TDC_NETAPP01A.SAN.MyCompany.Com\CIFS_COGNOS$\Test\Logs]
disabled = false
host = sancifs_test
index = default
sourcetype = motio_test

I have tried many different permutations of the forward and back slash for my monitor stanza, but nothing has worked so far.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Sean

Tags (1)
1 Solution

seanlon11
Path Finder

dang, that is going to make me mad. I set the Service to run as a different user, and it now works. (figuring out the syntax of how to get Windows to recognize the user was quite a chore)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

seanlon11
Path Finder

dang, that is going to make me mad. I set the Service to run as a different user, and it now works. (figuring out the syntax of how to get Windows to recognize the user was quite a chore)

0 Karma

Paolo_Prigione
Builder

Is the indexer (or forwarder) a linux or window box?
If windows, might it be that the "local system account" under which splunk runs by default has no access to that folder?
Uhm, is that a dollar sign after COGNOS? Is it supported in paths?

0 Karma

seanlon11
Path Finder

1) Yes, I have restarted Splunk after updating the inputs.conf

2) Splunk 4.1.1 (build 78281)

3) 14 files

0 Karma

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

few standard questions: 1- Have you restarted splunk after changing the config file? 2 - what version of splunk are you using? how many files are in the Logs directory?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...