Dashboards & Visualizations

Escape < and > in the xml of dashboards

chris
Motivator

Hi

I got the following error when I tried to save a dashboard after editing its xml:

Encountered the following error while trying to update: In handler 'views': Not valid XML: <view template="dashboard.html....

< and > characters are part of my search String because I'm using the rex search command

<module name="HiddenSearch" autoRun="True">
  <param name="search">| savedsearch "Mysearch" | where isnotnull(Resource) | rex "r> (\[.*\] )*(?<Reason>.*)$" | fields host,hostname,Resource,Reason</param>

How do those characters have to be escaped?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are two ways:

• Use &lt; for < and &gt; for >. You should also use &amp; for any & and some people like to use &quot; for ".
  • Enclose the entire search string in a CDATA tag: `(?.)" | stats count ]]>'

I personally think that it's a lot clearer to just use CDATA so your search query is readable:

<param name="search"><![CDATA[
      | savedsearch "Mysearch" | where isnotnull(Resource) | rex "r> (\[.*\] )*(?<Reason>.*)$" | fields host,hostname,Resource,Reason
    ]]></param>

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are two ways:

• Use &lt; for < and &gt; for >. You should also use &amp; for any & and some people like to use &quot; for ".
  • Enclose the entire search string in a CDATA tag: `(?.)" | stats count ]]>'

I personally think that it's a lot clearer to just use CDATA so your search query is readable:

<param name="search"><![CDATA[
      | savedsearch "Mysearch" | where isnotnull(Resource) | rex "r> (\[.*\] )*(?<Reason>.*)$" | fields host,hostname,Resource,Reason
    ]]></param>
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...