Dashboards & Visualizations

Embed an external webpage with login to splunk dashboard

meenu_2017
Engager

I'm checking to see if i can embed an external web page which requires a login to the splunk dashboard.
I'm able to add the web page to a panel using iframe, but it is not letting me log in. Any idea what might be happening?
I otherwise have access to the external website.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @meenu_2017,

On the iframe subject, which browser are you using ? Have you tried running the same page on a different browser ?

Could be a security feature on the client side blocking your access. It could also be from the server side .. harder to bypass if you're not managing the website.

iframe could be a risk for clickjacking and here are the security methods commonly used :
Client-side methods – the most common is called Frame Busting. Client-side methods can be effective in some cases, but are considered not to be a best practice, because they can be easily bypassed.
Server-side methods – the most common is X-Frame-Options. Server-side methods are recommended by security experts as an effective way to defend against clickjacking.

If embedding a website on your webpage can be bypassed then it's probably better to simply add a link to your website somewhere on the page .

Cheers,
David

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @meenu_2017,

On the iframe subject, which browser are you using ? Have you tried running the same page on a different browser ?

Could be a security feature on the client side blocking your access. It could also be from the server side .. harder to bypass if you're not managing the website.

iframe could be a risk for clickjacking and here are the security methods commonly used :
Client-side methods – the most common is called Frame Busting. Client-side methods can be effective in some cases, but are considered not to be a best practice, because they can be easily bypassed.
Server-side methods – the most common is X-Frame-Options. Server-side methods are recommended by security experts as an effective way to defend against clickjacking.

If embedding a website on your webpage can be bypassed then it's probably better to simply add a link to your website somewhere on the page .

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

meenu_2017
Engager

To answer your question,David I did try on a different browser and didnot work there either. So i think its a security feature for the website.
But thanks for the details.

[Updated the comment for clarity]

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Great to hear !

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...