Dashboards & Visualizations

Advanced XML pie JSChart not showing

glmartin
Explorer

Hello Splunkers!

I'm trying to add a pie chart to one complicated dashboard, I have reduced the minimum non-working example to this:

<view template="dashboard.html">
    <module name="HiddenSearch" autoRun="True">
        <param name="search">dvc="192.6.1.249" | stats count by src_ip</param>
        <param name="earliest">-15m</param>
        <param name="latest">now</param>
        <module name="HiddenChartFormatter">
            <param name="charting.chart">pie</param>
                <module name="JSChart" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col1">
                <param name="width">100%</param>
            </module>
        </module>
    </module>
</view>

I can't spot the error, the search is returning correct results and if I create a simple XML with the same parameters it shows up nicely. Can anyone spot whats wrong here?

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's no layoutPanel on the first few modules, so they won't render anywhere at all. The real problem I think is that the view contains no Message module. Even in a custom view you should always make sure to have at least one Message module, and at least one with a "*" filter", so that you can catch big developer-level problems fast before you bang your head against them.

While some of the layoutPanel pitfalls no longer trigger red error messages, I think this particular case would have.

There is really no other developer-level messaging so working without a Message module, you're working a little blind.

0 Karma

glmartin
Explorer

As always I get the answer as soon as I ask in Splunkbase...

Changing the layoutpanel to the hiddensearch module (or the postprocess in the complex dashboard) seemed to resolve the issue!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...