All Apps and Add-ons

Sideview Utils: Creating a dashboard with Switcher and multiple Button modules, how do I prevent the first button from running all subsearches?

BP9906
Builder

Hello,

I'm trying to create a dashboard with various reports using a Switcher and multiple Button modules with advanced xml.

1) Select Report
2) Press Button
3) Enter Text Field data (1 or more text fields)
4) Press Button
5) Run Search

Module Order
1) Pulldown
2) Button
3) Switcher
4) Text Field (1 or more)
5) Button
6) Search
7) Pager
8) Table

The problem I have is that no matter how I order everything, the first Button pushes all the sub-searches to happen. The only way I can get this to NOT happen is by putting a Table Module after the Text Fields and use the Table Module's drill down functionality to make the user click 1 row, which then initiates the sub-search.

1) Pulldown
2) Button
3) Switcher
4) Text Field (1 or more)
5) Table with 1 field named "Question" with value: "Click here to continue"
6) Search
7) Pager
8) Table

Is there a more elegant way of using multiple button modules without having to have a Table Module stop the sub-searches?

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@BP9906 and I took this into the land of email and the root cause actually ended up being quite different. The downstream searches were in fact not getting kicked off at all. However the JobProgressIndicator was showing itself prematurely, and in such a way that it looked like the job was hung at about 60% complete.

The root cause of all of it, was that in all the show/hide logic between the job starting/stopping and the switcher switching things around, the old legacy code in JobProgressIndicator had gotten a little lost. It was showing itself when it should have remained hidden.

The fix was relatively simple, to patch the JobProgressIndicator module from Sideview Utils. Thus this whole class of obscure but confusing bugs has been fixed as of Sideview Utils 3.3.6, released 8/19/2015. http://sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils/

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@BP9906 and I took this into the land of email and the root cause actually ended up being quite different. The downstream searches were in fact not getting kicked off at all. However the JobProgressIndicator was showing itself prematurely, and in such a way that it looked like the job was hung at about 60% complete.

The root cause of all of it, was that in all the show/hide logic between the job starting/stopping and the switcher switching things around, the old legacy code in JobProgressIndicator had gotten a little lost. It was showing itself when it should have remained hidden.

The fix was relatively simple, to patch the JobProgressIndicator module from Sideview Utils. Thus this whole class of obscure but confusing bugs has been fixed as of Sideview Utils 3.3.6, released 8/19/2015. http://sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils/

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I wonder if the Switcher's presence makes the downstream modules think that the push is the pageload push. In which case you might need allowAutoSubmit False as well. Try setting both allowSoftSubmit and allowAutoSubmit to False. Sorry I steered you wrong. Weird.

0 Karma

BP9906
Builder

Sorry my last comment didn't come thru properly. I pasted code using the code button yet it didn't render on this page.
Anyway, I tried both autosubmit and soft submit to false and both false doesn't help. 😞

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think the answer is just to set the "allowSoftSubmit" param on the Button modules to "False". It defaults to True and what that means, is that when a push arrives from above, the Button will allow it to continue on downstream. What you need here is the reverse behavior, ie push downstream from the Button only when the button itself is clicked.

0 Karma

BP9906
Builder

I tried this on both Button's and it doesnt work that way. The only way to legitimately stop the down stream searches is using a table and drilldown (Search Module) from what I could tell.

False
False

0 Karma

nadid
Path Finder

For this in simple XML you UsE tokens, probably sideviews has something similar

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...