All Apps and Add-ons

IIS logs sourcetype

rcovert
Path Finder

Hi,

I am running the Splunk indexer on a linux machine and have the universal forwarder installed on a remote Windows machine. I am monitoring IIS logs on the remote server in the Web Intelligence App.

The IIS logs are coming into the indexer fine, but they are coming in as sourcetype "u_ex". How can I set the sourcetype to IIS?

Is there anything else I will have to do to make the Web Intelligence App see these logs?

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

treinke
Builder

Here is what I have in my inputs.conf file for IIS servers:

[monitor://C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC*\]
disabled = false
followTail = 0
recursive = true
index=iis

You will need to have an index on the indexer named iis or whatever value you put in the index field.

There are no answer without questions
0 Karma

treinke
Builder

Put that on the IIS server sending the logs (on the remote server).

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\system\local\inputs.conf

There are no answer without questions
0 Karma

rcovert
Path Finder

Do I put that in the inputs.conf in the Web Intelligence app (/opt/splunk/etc/apps/webintelligence/local/inputs.conf) or /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/inputs.conf?

Will C: work if the C: is on a remote server?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...