All Apps and Add-ons

How to increase row count on the heatmap viz chart

ksoori

alt text

as you can see the heatmaps shows only 10 rows. how to increase this? i would like to use the heatmap to show all 100 servers we have.

0 Karma
1 Solution

spavin
Path Finder

Hi @ksoori,

The heatmap viz can show all 100 servers - I suspect you're running into the default limit for | timechart

Try adding this to your timechart command: limit=0

e.g:
|index=main
|timechart avg(cpu) by host limit=0

That will allow all 100 servers to be included in the output, rather than aggregating most into an "other" field.

Once you've done that there are a couple of options you should probably set to accommodate so many rows:

• Set the height to 1000. That's the most you can set a visualisation in a dashboard, and should give you enough room to display all 100 hosts.
    <option name="height">1000</option>

• Set the font-height to 12px - that will make the visualization more readable:

<option name="heat-map-viz.heat-map-viz.labelFontSize">12</option>

• Turn off animations. You may still like it twinkling, but it could get annoying with so many data points: <option name="heat-map-viz.heat-map-viz.enableAnimation">false</option>

Cheers,
Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Karma

spavin
Path Finder

Hi @ksoori,

The heatmap viz can show all 100 servers - I suspect you're running into the default limit for | timechart

Try adding this to your timechart command: limit=0

e.g:
|index=main
|timechart avg(cpu) by host limit=0

That will allow all 100 servers to be included in the output, rather than aggregating most into an "other" field.

Once you've done that there are a couple of options you should probably set to accommodate so many rows:

• Set the height to 1000. That's the most you can set a visualisation in a dashboard, and should give you enough room to display all 100 hosts.
    <option name="height">1000</option>

• Set the font-height to 12px - that will make the visualization more readable:

<option name="heat-map-viz.heat-map-viz.labelFontSize">12</option>

• Turn off animations. You may still like it twinkling, but it could get annoying with so many data points: <option name="heat-map-viz.heat-map-viz.enableAnimation">false</option>

Cheers,
Daniel

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...