All Apps and Add-ons

Does Splunk support Redhat chkconfig?

stefanlasiewski
Contributor

I have a Scientific Linux 6.1 server. I want Splunk to start upon boot, and I want to start/stop/restart Splunk using standard utilities like /sbin/service.

What is the proper way to use chkconfig with the Splunk binaries? Does Splunk provide a standardized startup script that I can place in /etc/init.d/? I cannot find an answer to this under http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk

It appears that Splunk supports chkconfig. If I do strings splunk I see that the binary does contain the string chkconfig.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, run splunk enable boot-start as root, and it will put a launcher script in /etc/init.d and add it to chkconfig.

View solution in original post

mwitt_secret
Engager

On some nodes (amazon linux) you'll need to add a hint for chkconfig to manage it
add this (with the comment #)

chkconfig: 2345 20 80

to the end of the comments in /etc/init.d/splunk

chkconfig can then manage the service,

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, run splunk enable boot-start as root, and it will put a launcher script in /etc/init.d and add it to chkconfig.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...