All Apps and Add-ons

Add-on Builder Certificate Location

LH_Splunker
Loves-to-Learn

Hey everyone, 

I currently have a use case for which I set up a Splunk Enterprise environment in an Ubuntu VM (VMware) and want to build an app with the Add-on Builder, which uses a Python Script as Input Method to make an API-Call to get my data into Splunk. That's the goal at least.  

The VM communicates with the Internet just fine (even if via proxy) and my python script gets the data from the API-Endpoint.

However, if I try to enter the proxy credentials from my VM into the Configuration of the Add-on Builder I get the following Error: "There was a problem connecting to the App Certification service. The service might not be available at this time, or you might need to verify your proxy settings and try again." 

Now, assuming that I did not mess up the proxy credentials, my next best bet would be that I need to give my Splunk environment a certificate to adequately communicate with the proxy. So we finally reach my question: 

Where would I need to place such a certificate file in the directory structure, so that the the Splunk add-on app can find it?  

Labels (1)
0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

I don’t think this is a cert issue, if you use the AOB it tries to validate your app for being certified for the online certificate validation service, basically been given a stamp of approval and needs the below:

"Enter the login settings for your Splunk.com account. This information is required for the app precertification process"

You normally get this via your sales process. 

For the proxy part, it could be incorrect credentials

I don’t think it’s a cert issue but could be wrong.  

There is a section on the AOB for where self-signed certs should go, but I think this is  red herring

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddonBuilder/4.1.4/UserGuide/ConfigureDataCollection

0 Karma

LH_Splunker
Loves-to-Learn

Hi deepakc, 

thanks for the quick reply. 

The thing is, I have only started to build the app but never finished it. So now it shows up as a 'husk' of an app so to speak and has no data collection finished yet. 

However, you were right that the error I've seen has something to do with the validation process. And I'm now trying to make heads and tails from the _internal logs as suggested by splunk (which read for example that the props.conf file of the new app is missing, which indeed it is because I haven't finished setting it up yet.) 

I will update on potential findings, once I've combed through the logs and tried to remedy the missing files. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...