Splunk Search

string to time and then timechart

KarunK
Contributor

Hi All,

I am trying to extract the timestamps from the log file name (source) and then find how many logs are produced at a span of 5 min - using "timechart span=5min". But i couldnt do it. It seems the timechart work only with field "_time". I have tried rename the log_time (extarcetd from the source) to _time.

| eval _time=log_time

But failed.............

I got it correct upto "| fields log_time log_type" command correctly. but the timechart seems to be failing.

Also tried chart but span seems to be not working.

Can any one please help me with ?

source file name -

/var/log/we_accesslog_extsqu_10.10.10.01_20111121_233000_32365
/var/log/mms_export_e_wms_90_10.10.10.02_20111121_232500_09678

| metadata type=sources index="cds_*" NOT index="cds_sysl*" 
| fields source 
| dedup source 
| rex field=source "^(?P<path>[^\_]+)\/(?P<log_type>[^\/1]+)\_(?P<ip>[^\_]+)\_(?P<date>[^\_]+)\_(?P<time>[^\_]+)" 
| eval log_time=round(strptime(time, "%H%M%S"), 0) | convert timeformat="%H:%M:%S" ctime(log_time) 
| eval log_date=round(strptime(date, "%Y%m%e"), 0)  | convert timeformat="%e/%m/%Y" ctime(log_date) 
| fields log_time log_type 

| timechart span=5min count by log_type                ---------  not working

| chart count over log_time by log_type  span=5min    ---------- not working
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

What's not working with your second attempt using chart? It looks OK to me, but I wonder whether you checked that your log_time field was actually created correctly?

I simplified your search a bit:

| dedup source 
| rex field=source "^(?<path>[^_]+)/(?<log_type>[^/1]+)_(?<ip>[^_]+)_(?<date>[^_]+)_(?<time>[^_]+)" 
| eval log_time=strptime(time, "%H%M%S")

(note that log_time gets an epoch value. This way you can eval it to _time.)

Then after that you could either use timechart:

| eval _time=log_time | timechart span=5m count by log_type

Or chart, using fieldformat to show a pretty timestamp instead of the actual epoch value.

| bucket log_time span=5m | fieldformat log_time=strftime(log_time, "%H:%M:%S") | chart count over log_time by log_type

View solution in original post

kallu
Communicator

I think the problem is you try to assign "human readable time" into _time while it should be seconds from epoch. Good news is, you already have it from strptime(), ie you don't need those "convert ..." cmds unless you want log_time and log_date for some other purposes.

Maybe this would work better

... | rex field=source "^(?P<path>[^\_]+)\/(?P<log_type>[^\/1]+)\_(?P<ip>[^\_]+)\_(?P<datetime>[^\_]+\_[^\_]+)" | eval _time=strptime(datetime, "%d/%m/%Y_%H:%M:%S") | timechart span=5min count by log_type

If you want use only log_time (ie sum all dates into one) then bucket -cmd could help you. Simply dropping date from above example will make Splunk assume it's current date.

0 Karma

kallu
Communicator

Looks like I waited a bit too long and got second place in this race 🙂

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

What's not working with your second attempt using chart? It looks OK to me, but I wonder whether you checked that your log_time field was actually created correctly?

I simplified your search a bit:

| dedup source 
| rex field=source "^(?<path>[^_]+)/(?<log_type>[^/1]+)_(?<ip>[^_]+)_(?<date>[^_]+)_(?<time>[^_]+)" 
| eval log_time=strptime(time, "%H%M%S")

(note that log_time gets an epoch value. This way you can eval it to _time.)

Then after that you could either use timechart:

| eval _time=log_time | timechart span=5m count by log_type

Or chart, using fieldformat to show a pretty timestamp instead of the actual epoch value.

| bucket log_time span=5m | fieldformat log_time=strftime(log_time, "%H:%M:%S") | chart count over log_time by log_type
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...