Splunk Search

inputlook

kishan2356
Explorer

I have a inputlookup search where I am looking to do a current count vs four week average count. My search is set up so it uses : | inputlookup count.csv | bin _time span=5m 

I need my search to display data from prior four weeks like below.

_timecLast WeekTwo Weeks Three Weeks AgoFour weeks Ago 
9/19/2021 15:10265(Count from 9/12/2021 15:10)(Count from 9/05/2021 15:10)   
9/19/2021 15:15362(Count from 9/12/2021 15:15)(Count from 9/05/2021 15:15)   
9/19/2021 15:20589(Count from 9/12/2021 15:20)(Count from 9/05/2021 15:20)   
9/19/2021 15:25700(Count from 9/12/2021 15:25)(Count from 9/05/2021 15:25)   

The problem is that I would normally use earliest and latest ( but these commands do not work with inputlooks. If anyone has solutions that work for inputlook it would be great!

Labels (5)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't quite understand - what exactly does your lookup contain? Can you provide us with a sample? We already have desired output but we don't know the input.

0 Karma

kishan2356
Explorer

The lookup only contains counts as seen in the table I have in the original post. My problem is I can't use earliest and latest commands to view historical data week by week.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I still don't understand what are the raw contents of the lookup. Anyway, doesn't ( | inputlookup | where _time<=something AND _time>=something) work?

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can add the search window time to the event using addinfo and then filter the events on the _time value in your lookup, e.g.

| addinfo
| where _time>=info_min_time AND _time<=info_max_time

so, if your search window is last 4 weeks, then this will return the events from the last 4 weeks only from the lookup.

Is that what you wanted?

If this is part of a dashboard search, then you could use the tokens from your time selector, e.g.

| inputlookup count.csv where _time>=$timerange.earliest$ AND _time<=$timerange.latest$

0 Karma

kishan2356
Explorer
Hi bowesmana,

How can I use 
| where _time>=info_min_time AND _time<=info_max_time

to only display data from last 7 days (one week) if inputlook does not accept earliest and latest?

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your original post implied the lookup contained _time as a field. If you do not have a time field in your lookup then you can't filter by time. If you have a field called _time in your lookup, then do as I suggest in my previous post. There is a 3rd option which will make a fixed 7 day test (again assuming you have a time field in your lookup)

| inputlookup count.csv
| where _time>=relative_time(now(), "-7d@d") AND _time<=now()

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Dashboard Challenge and Watch the .conf24 Global Broadcast!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is still happening, and it's not too late to enter for the week of ...