Splunk Search

grouping by host

AshimaE
Explorer

I have to calculate the change of a field(xyz) over the past 6 hours on a per host basis. I have calculated the same for a single host specified in the query itself. The code is as follows:

index=ck sourcetype=a_log host = hkv earliest=-6h | delta du as useddiff |
fillnull value=0.00 useddiff | eval velo=useddiff/15 | table time du useddiff velo

I now need to do the same for multiple hosts separately and display a timechart of all of the hosts together. Kindly tell me how the same work can be done host wise.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

index=ck sourcetype=a_log host=* earliest=-6h 
| sort 0 _time host
| streamstats current=f window=1 values(du) as prevdu by host
| eval useddiff=coalesce(du-prevdu,0.00) 
| eval velo=useddiff/15 | table _time du useddiff velo

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

index=ck sourcetype=a_log host=* earliest=-6h 
| sort 0 _time host
| streamstats current=f window=1 values(du) as prevdu by host
| eval useddiff=coalesce(du-prevdu,0.00) 
| eval velo=useddiff/15 | table _time du useddiff velo
0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

please check this -

index=ck sourcetype=a_log host = hkv earliest=-6h | delta du as useddiff |
fillnull value=0.00 useddiff | timechart eval(useddiff/15) by host

0 Karma

AshimaE
Explorer

the problem is since I have more than 1 host and i need the difference for the same host or a zero rather than calculating a difference between the last value of the previous host and the first value of the next host

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

maybe, instead of delta, you can give it a try for stats dc (distinct count)-

index=ck sourcetype=a_log host = hkv earliest=-6h | stats dc(du) as useddiff by host | fillnull value=0.00 useddiff | eval velo=useddiff/15| table time du useddiff velo 
0 Karma

AshimaE
Explorer

But this defeats the purpose since I actually need the difference between the two rather consecutive rows belonging to the same host only.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...