Splunk Search

error in timechart command and too many bins

bwojciechowski

I am getting the following error

Error in 'timechart' command: Span value '1m' results in too many (> 50000) bins. Edit limits.conf to change limits.

In my limits.conf file maxbins is not set, but maxresultsrow is set to a larger number. The comments state that if maxbins is not specified, it will default to the maxresultsrows

[searchresults]
maxresultrows = 5000000

commented line: if maxbins not specified or = 0, defaults to searchresults::maxresultrows

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Dan
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How can you be sure that maxbins is not set? It does get set in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/limits.conf, specifically:

[discretize]
maxbins = 50000

Have you tried updating this (by creating a etc/system/local/limits.conf)? You can also run the CLI command:

> splunk.exe cmd btool limits list
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...