Splunk Search

count between events

mkrauss1
Explorer

I would like to count values between an event and i'm not getting an entry point for this at all.

Assume i get an event like:

SOURCE=ABC EVENT=1

and from there i would like to count all results given in RESULT:

SOURCE=ABC RESULT=1

until the event goes off

SOURCE=ABC EVENT=0

Idealy this would work with multiple sources like

SOURCE=ABC EVENT=1
 SOURCE=DEF EVENT=1
 SOURCE=ABC RESULT=1
 SOURCE=ABC EVENT=0
 SOURCE=DEF RESULT=2
 SOURCE=DEF EVENT=0

And then return something like

RESULT_TOTAL=3

Any ideas how to achieve this?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

May be something like this

your base search   | stats values(EVENT) as EVENT sum(RESULT) as RESULT by SOURCE 

If you don't want to count the RESULT if there is no EVENT=0 after that, then just add this in the end of the above search

....| where mvcount(EVENT)=2

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

May be something like this

your base search   | stats values(EVENT) as EVENT sum(RESULT) as RESULT by SOURCE 

If you don't want to count the RESULT if there is no EVENT=0 after that, then just add this in the end of the above search

....| where mvcount(EVENT)=2
0 Karma

mkrauss1
Explorer

Thanks for this. The sample looks stateless and counts any RESULT as long as EVENT is appearing. Is it possible to set a trigger? Say the count applies only after

SOURCE=ABC EVENT=0

until

SOURCE=ABC EVENT=1

and ignore (don't) count anything else?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

How about this

your base search | stats list(EVENT) as EVENT sum(RESULT) as RESULT by SOURCE | where mvindex(EVENT,0)=0 AND mvindex(EVENT,1)=1

0 Karma

mkrauss1
Explorer

Great, Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...