Splunk Search

Where is Splunk creating my summary index?

a212830
Champion

Hi,
I have a customer who is scheduling a search that uses db query. He then wants to send the output of that search to a summary index. Since db connect runs from the search-head, will the summary index get created on the search-head? I'm trying to make all indexers are created on the indexers. (We are running Splunk 6.1.1)

0 Karma

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If your search head is setup as a forwarder, the summary index will be populated on the indexers. It sounds like this is what you want. That configuration (Forwarding Search Head data to Indexers) is considered a best practice. Additional information on why (& how to set that up) may be found here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.4/DistSearch/Forwardsearchheaddata.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...