Splunk Search

Where condition not working for a multiple value field

neerajs_81
Builder

Hello All,  
I have a search that uses stats command and displays the results as follows.  Note:  I have stripped out some columns.  

index=index1 sourceType=xxxx
| eventstats count(action) as Per_User_failures by user
| stats latest(_time) as _time, values(host), values(src_ip), dc(src_ip) as srcIpCount, values(user), values(Failure_Reason), dc(user) as userCount, values(Per_User_failures) as Per_User_failures  by Workstation_Name

neerajs_81_0-1636703489315.png

Now, if i further add  | where Per_User_failures > 10  condition, the search shows "No Results Found". 

index=index1 sourceType=xxxx
| eventstats count(action) as Per_User_failures by user
| stats latest(_time) as _time, values(host), values(src_ip), dc(src_ip) as srcIpCount, values(user), values(Failure_Reason), dc(user) as userCount, values(Per_User_failures) as Per_User_failures  by Workstation_Name
| where Per_User_failures >10

This is incorrect  as you can see there are some values where Per_user_Failures is greater than 10 such as 11,12,13, 1037 etc.  
How can i make the where clause check any of the values under the "Per_user_failures" column. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@neerajs_81 

I hope you tried same I shared.

I'm sharing my sample search with you. I hope this will help you.

| makeresults 
| eval User="John,Alice|Alex,John,Jamie,Alicia",userCount="2|4",Per_User_Failures="5,10|13,1037,12,1"
    ,User=split(User,"|"),userCount=split(userCount,"|"),Per_User_Failures=split(Per_User_Failures,"|") 
| eval t=mvzip(mvzip(User,userCount,"|"),Per_User_Failures,"|") 
| mvexpand t 
| eval User=mvindex(split(t,"|"),0),userCount=mvindex(split(t,"|"),1),Per_User_Failures=mvindex(split(t,"|"),2) 
| eval User=split(User,","),Per_User_Failures=split(Per_User_Failures,",") 
| eval Workstation_Name=1 | accum Workstation_Name
| rename comment as "Upto now is for sample data only" 
| table User userCount Per_User_Failures Workstation_Name
| mvexpand Per_User_Failures 
| where Per_User_Failures>10
| stats values(*) as * by Workstation_Name

KV

View solution in original post

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@neerajs_81 

Can you please replace this with your where condition?

| mvexpand Per_User_failures | where Per_User_failures>10 | stats values(*) as * by Workstation_Name

If it is works, you can redefine your search and make it possible with only one stats if possible.

Thanks
KV
▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一   😉

If any of my reply helps you to solve the problem Or gain knowledge, an upvote would be appreciated. 

neerajs_81
Builder

Hi Kamlesh, i tried  using | mvexpand Per_User_failures | where Per_User_failures>10 , 
it appears to be working obviously but the  results in the "Per_User_failures" column no longer shows the count of failures per user level.  It is now showing only a single value ( which i think is the total of all failures) .

I want the search results to continue displaying count of failures of every user in the "Per_User_failures" column as it was before which is why i am using evenstats to show me the data per user.

This is what i mean :
Before: ( as per my screenshot earlier) .  It shows failures of every user : 

UseruserCountPer_User_Failures
John
Alice
Alex
John
Jamie
Alicia

After adding  | mvexpand Per_User_failures | where Per_User_failures>10

UseruserCountPer_User_Failures
John
Alice
Alex
John
Jamie
Alicia
0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@neerajs_81 

I hope you tried same I shared.

I'm sharing my sample search with you. I hope this will help you.

| makeresults 
| eval User="John,Alice|Alex,John,Jamie,Alicia",userCount="2|4",Per_User_Failures="5,10|13,1037,12,1"
    ,User=split(User,"|"),userCount=split(userCount,"|"),Per_User_Failures=split(Per_User_Failures,"|") 
| eval t=mvzip(mvzip(User,userCount,"|"),Per_User_Failures,"|") 
| mvexpand t 
| eval User=mvindex(split(t,"|"),0),userCount=mvindex(split(t,"|"),1),Per_User_Failures=mvindex(split(t,"|"),2) 
| eval User=split(User,","),Per_User_Failures=split(Per_User_Failures,",") 
| eval Workstation_Name=1 | accum Workstation_Name
| rename comment as "Upto now is for sample data only" 
| table User userCount Per_User_Failures Workstation_Name
| mvexpand Per_User_Failures 
| where Per_User_Failures>10
| stats values(*) as * by Workstation_Name

KV

neerajs_81
Builder

Thank you 

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...