Splunk Search

Using regex to extract summary

bigll
Path Finder

in raw data I have portion that I would like to use in report.

"changes":{"description":{"before":"<some text or empty>","after":"<some text or empty>"}}

I created 

rex summary= "changes":\{"description":\{"before":"<some text or empty>","after":"<some text or empty>"\}\})"

But it doesn't work.

Please advise

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @bigll ,

as @ITWhisperer said, this seems to be a json format so the INDEXED_ENTRACTION = json option in props.conf or the spath command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/SearchReference/Spath) is the easiest solution to your requirement.

Then the rex command has a different format to extract fields: the fied definition must be located inside the rex definition, as the following example using your data:

| rex "before\":\"(?<summary_before>[^\"]+)\".\"after\":\"(?<summary_after>[^\"]+)"

You can see how to extract and test your regex at https://regex101.com/r/22aHz1/1

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is not how rex works - you need to provide a pattern as a regular expression to identify what you want to extract. For example, do you want everything from "change" to "}}"? Does this pattern hold true for all your event where you want to extract this field?

Aside from that, this looks like json - why aren't you using spath or the other json functions to extract the json field?

0 Karma

bigll
Path Finder

Thank you for your message.

You are correct, I need everything between {} as a value of the field I can include in the table.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

| rex "\"changes\":(?<changes>\{.*?\}\})"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...