Splunk Search

Unique row number in while indexing

himanshusinha1
Explorer

Hi All,
Is there any possibility to create a unique index number while indexing because i want to search the result on behalf of last event id i read.then i will read the event greater then from that last event id.
The problem i faced is device is generating wrong date time and that time is future date time in that case our earliest and latest logic is failing. because i was storing the _time value as a last trigger date and that was future date.so i want to create a unique auto incremented row number id while indexing.
Please help!!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

You could use _indextime instead of _time. If that's not enough you could also use (or combine) the _cd field for uniqueness. Both are a kind of incrementing counters.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

_cd is a unique number within an index (it consists of a bucket number and an offset within that bucket). It always exists. It does not increment just by 1 though, the only guarantee you have is that it's incrementing.

Not sure what you mean by that it's taking a long time to search and why.

0 Karma

himanshusinha1
Explorer

Thanks.. can we get _cd in every type of device logs?
Can we get the two ranges of _cd logs e.g i got 1234 in _cd now i want the logs between 1234 and 1240 o/p = 6 events?
_indextime is returning epoch time and its taking long time i search.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

You could use _indextime instead of _time. If that's not enough you could also use (or combine) the _cd field for uniqueness. Both are a kind of incrementing counters.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...