Splunk Search

Trying to use FSChange for monitoring filesystem, getting a ton of sources and sourcetypes

kholleran
Communicator

Hello,

I need to monitor a handful of application directories and system32 for changes. I utilized FSChange with regex's to isolate file types to monitor. I turned this on and all of a sudden I have over 100 sources and 30 sourcetypes! Is there a way to make all of these under one source and sourcetype? It appears each individual file is a different source type as opposed to a single fschange sourcetype.

Thanks for any help as there is so much its not very useful.

Thanks.

Kevin

0 Karma

kholleran
Communicator

I also was pulling the whole event as I misunderstood what that did. Now I have it working and apparently there is a bug where | delete does not get rid of the source & sourcetype so I have several hundred sources and sourcetypes that I don't want...

0 Karma

kholleran
Communicator

OK, I found the issue for the extra files I believe, it appears that in one of my whitelists I made a typo and forgot the opening bracket [.

So hopefully it is limiting its monitoring to just .exe, .dll, etc Is there a way to remove all those other sourcetypes and sources? Also, can all fschange related events be under a single source and sourcetype called fschange? Would I do this in transforms.conf?

Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...