Splunk Search

Trying to extract field, from a CSV extracted fields

castle1126
Communicator

Hi,

I'm running my environment with one main indexer and one search head. I have an index on the main indexer where each event is a space delimited line. In my etc/system/local/transforms.conf on the search head I have this set:

[csv_extract] DELIMS = " " FIELDS = "src_ip", "dest_ip", "request"

I then want to take the values for the field named "request" and break those up into parts. So I wrote this stanza in transforms.conf:

[protocol_extract] REGEX = ^(\w*):// SOURCE_KEY = request FORMAT = proto::$1

Both stanzas are added to the search head's etc/system/local/props.conf as:

[weblogs] KV_MODE = none REPORT-csv_extract = csv_extract REPORT-protocol_extract = protocol_extract

When I restart Splunk and perform a search over that data the fields extracted by the [csv_extract] work fine, but the [protocol_extract] doesn't work. When I run the search adding | extract reload=T all fields show up, including the [protocol_extract]. Then I drop the | extract reload=T and run the search again. This time the [protocol_extract] field disappears again! Any subsequent restart of Splunk performs the same way....

I'm running 4.1.2 on my main indexer and the search head.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong???

Tags (2)

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I had a similar case just today.
Try the following props.conf:
[weblogs]
KV_MODE = none
REPORT-extracts = csv_extract protocol_extract

Let me know how it goes,
.gz

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...