Splunk Search

Send Search Data to Custom Command?

srnixon

Hey All,

I am wondering how you can make a search in Splunk, and then send the data it returns to a custom python command for further processing. For example the search without the custom command:

"source="C:\\Documents\\Logs.csv" index="logs" sourcetype="csv"
| stats count as alertCount by Alert
| stats count(alertCount)"

This will return to me the number of types of alerts in this CSV I have. But I want to take that number (which is stored in "alertCount") and send it to my custom command as a parameter in order to send that number to an outbound-external API via REST.

Ultimately my search would look something like this

"source="C:\\Documents\\Logs.csv" index="logs" sourcetype="csv"
| stats count as alertCount by Alert
| stats count(alertCount)
| splunkcommand num=alertCount"

"splunkcommand" is my custom python script that takes in a parameter "num" and sends it to an API via REST. However, Splunk tells me that "splunkcommand" needs to be the first command in the search, making what I am trying to do not possible, because I want to make the SPL search first, to send it to the custom command. Is what I am trying to achieve possible?

Labels (5)
0 Karma

jwrjrobertson05
Explorer

It sounds like you would need to have a python command submit the search via the API and have it return the results via CSV. Then it can continue processing that data or send it to the separate script if you already had it built.

0 Karma

srnixon

So I would need a python command script that is submitting the search string inside of the script, this search command is sent to the Splunk API, processed, then I get the data back from that Splunk API call, then I resume processing the results from inside the python script to send to my outbound API call? And my whole SPL search string inside Splunk would be "| splunkcommand" ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us at the Builder Bar at .conf24 – Empowering Innovation and Collaboration

What is the Builder Bar? The Builder Bar is more than just a place; it's a hub of creativity, collaboration, ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...