Splunk Search

Search for unique count of users

bnitesh
Explorer

Hi,

I have a Splunk query which lets me view the frequency of visits to pages in my app.

sourcetype="iis" source="*Prod*" cs_uri_filepath="Web/View*" cs_username!="-" | rex Field=cs_uri_filepath "web/view/(?<TabOrFormName>[_A-Za-z]*)" | stats count by TabOrFormName

Now I also want to get numbers for all unique users visiting these urls. Any ideas on how I can do this?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend
... | stats dc(cs_username) by TabOrFormName

View solution in original post

RicoSuave
Builder

Try this:

sourcetype="iis" source="*Prod*" cs_uri_filepath="Web/View*" cs_username!="-" | rex Field=cs_uri_filepath "web/view/(?<TabOrFormName>[_A-Za-z]*)" | stats count as visits by TabOrFormName | append [ search sourcetype="iis" source="*Prod*" cs_uri_filepath="Web/View*" cs_username!="-" | rex Field=cs_uri_filepath "web/view/(?<TabOrFormName>[_A-Za-z]*)" | stats dc(cs_username) as DistinctCountofUsers by TabOrFormName] | table TabOrFormName visits DistinctCountofUsers
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend
... | stats dc(cs_username) by TabOrFormName

bnitesh
Explorer

Works like a charm!

0 Karma

bnitesh
Explorer

cs_username stores the usernames. So I was thinking of using count over cs_username for each row of the final search or something like that.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Well how would you distinguish unique users based on your log contents?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...