Splunk Search

Rangemap shows "other" for 3rd value always

nandrews

I'm trying to do a rangemap pie chart to show ranges (0-40, 40-100, and everything else).

If I do 2 ranges (0-40 and everything else), the chart looks fine, but if I add the middle range, the default changes to "other(x)", where x tends to be a 1 or 2.

All permutations of the rangemap give me the same result if there are 3 ranges.

Am I formatting something wrong?

Splunk 4.3.4. Rangemap is:

| rangemap field=avserv normal=0-40 elevated=40-100 default=high | stats count by range

Regardless of what I call the default, I end up with "other" on my graph, regardless of what I name the other fields.

0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Are all values of avserv numeric? Does avserv appear in all events? If it doesn't, then some events will have a null value for avserv. Finally, did you notice that both your ranges have the value 40? You have a range overlap, which is okay.

Try this:

yoursearchhere
| rangemap field=avserv normal=0-40 elevated=40-100 default=high 
| table avserv range

OR

yoursearchhere
| search range=other*
| table avserv range

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Are all values of avserv numeric? Does avserv appear in all events? If it doesn't, then some events will have a null value for avserv. Finally, did you notice that both your ranges have the value 40? You have a range overlap, which is okay.

Try this:

yoursearchhere
| table avserv range

OR

yoursearchhere
| search range=other*
| table avserv range
0 Karma

nandrews

I think I actually figured it out. I think part of the problem is that my non-normal results are infinitesimal when compared to normal (just over 1% for elevated and high combined, with high being an even smaller at .3%), and the grapher just can't deal with it.

I see the proper values/names in the results table, and other() only shows up when that proportion is REALLY small (which it generally is).

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...