Splunk Search

Is there a way to search across multiple lookup files to find text within them?

finchy
Explorer

Hi

Is there a way to search across multiple Lookup files to find text within them ?  I know that you can use | inputlookup to get the contents of a single lookup csv file but I'm trying to search for any csv files that might have a specific string value.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@finchy,

You can use below sample, it will search for  "text_to_search" value in all lookups. It is better to limit lookup files by filtering title.

| rest /servicesNS/-/-/data/lookup-table-files f=title 
| fields title 
| dedup title 
| map maxsearches=1000 search="|inputlookup $title$  | fieldsummary |eval lookup_name=$title$ | fields values field lookup_name " 
| spath input=values 
| rename {}.* as *| fields lookup_name field value 
| search value="text_to_search"

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

finchy
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks i get this error message and only returns a few records guess i don't have enough permissions

Restricting results of the "rest" operator to the local instance because you do not have the "dispatch_rest_to_indexers" capability

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's no need to grab lookup files from the indexers since the SH should have the same ones.  Use the splunk_server=local option to suppress the warning.

| rest splunk_server=local /servicesNS/-/-/data/lookup-table-files f=title 
| fields title 
| dedup title 
| map maxsearches=1000 search="|inputlookup $title$  | fieldsummary |eval lookup_name=$title$ | fields values field lookup_name " 
| spath input=values 
| rename {}.* as *| fields lookup_name field value 
| search value="text_to_search"

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Searching multiple lookup files requires using multiple lookup commands, one for each file.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...