Splunk Search

How would I combine data in Splunk so I can view them on one page?

Chris231289
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi i am new, 

I have 2 excel documents, one containing firewall logs and the other containing Sys logs. how would i combine the data in splunk so i can view them on one page

I want to compare when the firewall  was used (and its destination IP) to when FTP was used (from syslogs).

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This question is very broad, but combining data is at the very foundation of Splunk.  So, without specifics, suppose you have a sourcetype firewall (with firewall logs), and another sourcetype syslog (containing syslogs); suppose source IP in firewall logs is named dst_ip, and FTP server's IP is ftp_ip.  You didn't specify what combined result you want, so I'll just use a dumb example.

sourcetype IN (firewall, syslog)
| eval ip_of_interest = coalesce(dst_ip, ftp_ip)
| bin span=5m _time
| stats values(sourcetype) as sources by ip_of_interest _time
| where mvcount(sources) > 1

This will give you time periods when dst_ip and ftp_ip appeared in the same 5-minute time window.

Hope this helps 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'll add to what @yuanliu said by pointing out that Splunk cannot ingest Excel files because they are not text.  You would have to save them as CSV files to load them into Splunk.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...